Saturday, May 12, 2007

Abortion

I note the Pope was very much against abortion in his visit to Brazil. I think I would agree that abortion is a most unhappy result of young people unable to understand the consequences of their coupling. To what extent I would bring the full force of the law or even the threat of hell onto unhappy young people, I am less sure. It practice it does not seem to make much difference as abortions take place, law or no law. Young people need help, and I would think the girls especially, who often seem naive at this stage of their lives.
Looking at our biology, it seems men are capable of fathering many hundreds of children, and women often as many as 12 offspring in a lifetime. It is not quite clear to me why God would have created us in His image with this ability to breed! When I was born the world population was 2 billion, seventy years later it is 6.6 billion. This is an untenable situation economically and environmentally, unless of course you believe that famine and drought, disease and pestilence, violence and war will be the safety valve eventually. The Four Horsemen are indeed the ultimate solution.
I still feel mankind has some responsibility to worry about the future, but perhaps I am wrong. I take the view that allowing children to be born is perfectly acceptable - but only if children so born are looked after properly - food, love and education. It is not right that many should condemn abortion but then allow these selfsame children to die at a rather later age of disease, malnutrition and violence. I suppose that it is just possible to argue from a religious point-of-view that so many extra deaths of children don't really matter as God will take care of them after life is over, but I don't really like such a ruthless argument!

No comments: