Monday, March 12, 2007

Computer Instructions

At the age of 72, I am of course not expected to understand what is happening in the technical world of the computer. I am ashamed I cannot program. I am always worried when my younger friends often seem at a loss to answer my questions when an unexpected collapse occurs! I always suppose it is all my fault and sometimes spend hours going through my laptop to see where I made a mistake. This week I had some frights:
My laptop would not project my powerpoint slides. This seems to be the fault of the projector, but I am not sure as the technician was quite silent on the matter. He took away the laptop and returned it. Then my wifi would not work! I assume WiFi has always been'ON', but on this occasion I had to find how to switch on my wifi. Depress Fn and F1! But why should I know this when this is the first time I have ever done it! Why did he switch off my wifi without telling me?
Then suddenly I got a Hotmail message "Account closed/ Access denied"! What about all my recent work? Anyway I filled in a form and 24 hours later everything was restored without much explanation. I am still mystified!
With all this activity, as usual thinking it was my fault, I did a "system restore" without losing my info, and it all worked wonderfully and the laptop is so fast now. But I seem to be in a 2005 limbo where I am getting free 2005 offers, almost as if the programmers of 2005 and never foresaw a situation where anyone would go back to 2005!
I seem to be receiving free offers from Norton 2005. I am not quite sure what this means! I in fact discontinued Norton a year ago because I ordered some $18 update from the USA and could never load it as I got message saying "you are on the wrong circuit". This suggested that my laptop, bought in the UK and used in the Philippines is somehow 'persona non grata' in the uSA. I never got my $18 back. I could not find a way of communicating in writing with Norton even after many hours of trying.
I now suspect that I understand computers very well but that there others who do not! But I cannot program!

No comments: