Sunday, March 4, 2007

Democracy Today

I have never really understood what we mean by 21st century democracy. It seems a far cry from rule by the people. I was treasurer once of the Kingson-upon-Thames local Liberal party. But I am not sure how I could have risen in the UK system once overseas! I have always done my best to ensure that the people suffer the consequences of their decisions. But perhaps I am taking too harsh a view of my own responsibilities!
Recently I have begun to wonder whether our politicians are really properly educated to the realities of the modern world - or even that I might not do it better! They may be quite expert on what is happening in Sunderland (where is that?) but I have the impression that they have very little experience of South America, the Middle East, or Asia where they are expected to make grave and difficult decisions for all of us. Indeed the world is full of people with the most wonderful education and overseas experience who do not seem to be consulted at all. Not surprisingly things go wrong when our politicians know nothing about history, science, foreign cultures and globalisation.

When I first sailed in 1955 (to Barfleur to a very foreign France), I had thought I was following an old tradition that the British travelled and I called myself British in those days! Fifty years later after living in Venezuela, South Korea, Philippines, Malaysia and Saudi Arabia - and of course England, I now have the feeling I am not really wanted in the UK. Certainly when I retired in 1984, no one offered me a job back home.

This feeling has been reinforced by the British government discounting any idea of British culture (for those of us who go back 1000 years) and the withdrawal of voting rights, of access to education, medical help and a new definition that only residents of the UK (not citizens) have any rights. The water is muddied of course because we in the UK are not sure whether we are citizens or subjects of the Queen (subjects have no say in going to war while citizens might have).

It troubles me that loyalty and patriotism now count for so little. Not for myself, as I am quite able to defend myself almost anywhere, but for the impact of the increasing numbers who do not know where they come from. I sympathise with the young Moslems in the UK, who live culturally in mostly Pakistan, but are expected to be British all at the same time - they get little sympathy from a confused government!I feel the same. How wonderful it is that only very small groups actually engage in violence in a hostile world (of 6.5 billion peaceful people). If there was widespread active enmity, there would be hundreds involved when in fact it only a tiny minority of disturbed boys not sure what to do with an excess of testosterone, who are violent - very few indeed.

But the situation cannot improve if those who become contaminated by foreign cultures become outlaws in our own countries at a time when our politicians are quite ignorant, and yet promote an international rule in their own interests where they do not want democracy to exist. Recent developments in international law where suspects are held for 5 years without trial or governments, where limited torture is permitted, and where they go to war without the support of their own peoples is worrying. What does a convinced democrat do in a world where the international world is lawless?

I call myself English these days, but that is just a pleasing fancy in the last decade of my life. The last 2000 years of history are coming to an end for the Anglo-Saxons. My children and grandchildren are partly English, Venezuelan, Italian, Mexican and Filipino. For what just causes are they going to fight and what force are they entitled to use to achieve a better world? I am training them now. You must tell me.

No comments: