Monday, March 19, 2007

Scotland

I never gave it much thought fifty years ago. Scotland was a cold country far to the north, apparently usually allied to France, but my inclinations and destiny lay in other directions to the south and east. Clearly the Scots benefited from their link with England!
I have never been to Scotland, although once attached to the Pembroke Yeomanry I did fire field-guns live across the border but without any malice.
Today I see that Tony Blair has laid the groundwork for Scottish independence, and it is not altogether surprising that our predominantly Scottish government should hanker after independence. Perhaps they cannot tell us but this was part of New Labour policy all along!
I have had many Scots colleagues over the years all over the world and very able they proved to be. They do often seem to have edged out the English, which is surprising when one considers what a small population Scotland has.
So we must congratulate the SNP in advance on the success of its May campaign and look forward to a time when the English will once again assume their rightful position - if only by population numbers - in the British Isles. FREEDOM!

No comments: