Saturday, February 24, 2007

Dogs

Perhaps it comes from a childhood spent in the countryside of England, but I have always been fond of animals in spite of the Sunday roast. I am not sure of the argument that animals do not suffer like we do. I suppose it is true that they cannot foresee that they will be on my dinner table in one month's time, but apart from that I think they do feel as much pain as I do! I see that children in the USA and UK are not treated well and I am aware from my own childhood that "Children should be seen and not heard". Our aristocrats sent their sons away to be trained when they were 10 years old over 1000 years of our history. It made Englishmen cold and logical without much emotion. Perhaps children survive better if treated with a certain amount of harshness!
Dogs are a different matter. They need to be looked after. My dog 'Bruno' has been with me since he was born, and I have never had a dog with such a sweet character. He has never growled at me and I expect to him stay with me until I die!
I like the story of the man who has just died and is accompanied by his dog (must have been an accident for both of them) on the road up to heaven. Eventually he gets to a beautiful gate made of gold and studded in precious stones. He is told this is heaven but sorry no dogs are allowed as they would dirty the place. The man refuses to abandon his dog and walks on for many miles. Eventually he comes to a broken down old gate and a muddy track. He stops and asks if dogs are allowed. Of course dogs are allowed. He asks what place this is. It is heaven came the reply. You are welcome to come in with your dog. Then what was the place I passed some time ago all gold and emeralds. Oh, that was hell - no dogs allowed in there! ---- I would hope my dogs will be waiting for me on the other side.
There is also a story in the book by Le Carre "A Perfect Spy" where the spy -master's old dog is too ill to stand. He takes her out to the hill looking over the valley, digs a hole and shoots her quickly. He leaves no stone, but aligns the dog's grave with landmarks so he can greet the old dog whenever he passes. I am a much better person for having a dog to talk to!

No comments: