Sunday, February 25, 2007

Life and hospital Insurance for 50 years

My father insured ne for hospital insurance when I was 18. Over the last 50 years I have spent some $200,000 for global family hospital insurance and only claimed twice for varicose veins, a dog bite for a daughter and long ago an ectopic pregnancy for my wife. I gave up hospital insurance three years ago and already have saved myself £12,000. There can't be many operations that cost much more than £12,000 so Iam already ahead! Since the children left home 20 years ago I have claimed very little. The same applies for comprehensive car insurance for 40 years. I had one accident in tropical rain in 1965. Now the experts will surely say that statistically I am just lucky amongst all the others. But I can't help wonder whether I might not just be more careful than others - drive carefully, asleep by 11 pm, rather healthy at age 72, and rather fond of iced tea. I begin to suspect that I am statistically atypical and in fact always knew this. I have the horrible feeling that I ought to have put this money into a saving account every year from 1952 for the last 55 years and not insured myself at all.
I also noted that when my mother was ill in England, we never claimed on her hospital insurance ever, but felt it was our duty to have her insured. The NHS always sent an ambulance and refused to be paid! One of my friends recently said to me that the Insurance Companies are very good investments as profits are high! He may be right!

No comments: