Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Hello, World!

Everyday I write to the newspapers in England or Philippines some commentary or other on what is happening in the world. Quite often my comments get published, but if I leave it a day, I lose the reference and never know whether my writing is accepted or not. Then recently a UK newspaper decided to limit publication of comment to the top 10. This leaves me either rejected entirely or even I might think censored in some way I do not understand. Are comments rejected because they are not liked by the newspaper or just not good enough as a literary offering? Once I remember another UK newspaper seemed to blacklist me and I have never been sure why - although maybe I was rude about a politician - but no ruder than most! Or perhaps I just pushed the wrong computer button! The main worry must be that comments are not published for not being politically correct or someone is censoring comment for reasons not entirely clear. This strikes me as being rather sinister and leaves me feeling helpless. So what to do? Perhaps the best way would be to publish my thoughts every day and not bother to send them to any newspaper any more. At least I will keep track of my own work if nothing else. I guess that is what 'blogging' is, but I stand to be corrected

So here in Manila it is time for a merienda (snack) before I start the day. I am not entirely sure a blog is the right way to proceed but I suppose it depends on what I write and whether anyone is interested or not.

Why 'Wedmore'? Well, that is where King Alfred burnt the cakes and where I drank long ago 'scrumpy' cider. I do think of myself sometimes as a (last) Wessex Englishman in a time when Scotland and Wales will soon be independent. But I have also been overseas for 35 years on and off so I am not sure where I come from any more. So good morning Asian time and hello!

3 comments:

Grace D. Chong said...

Dear Brian,

Welcome to blogosphere! Now that we are in the same community, we probably can exchange views on how the world views bloggers like us or some such stuff. As I started blogging three months before you, I can tell with certainty that this new thing (for me) is fun. Addicting, too.

Your posts are extremely interesting -- and candid. Keep writing and we'll keep reading.

Brian Lewis said...

Thank you, Grace, for replying so quickly. I am getting the hang of things. The next question is how do I publicise the fact that I have a blog!

Anonymous said...

Brian:

Kudos to you my friend. This feels like an excellent alternate to our conversations during SABIC days. You write well & are honest.
Keep blogging, "It is our magic wand, for our word is Creator in action."

Nazim